11 April 2010

Goth fashion

I am recurrently impressed by the elaborate and inventive stylings of Goth fashion, especially their use of cosmetic contact lenses (here and here).  The above photos come from a gallery at Izismile.  I'm not sure of the original source; I've been able to track individual photos to a Cyrillic website and to the NYT "Lens" photoblog and to a Der Spiegel story (which give different sources for the same photo).  The pix were apparently taken at the Wave-Gotik-Treffen festival in Leipzig.

Perhaps someone  (?Pascaline) can enlighten me as to which subtype of Goth these photos represent.

7 comments:

  1. The first and last are CyberGoth, the middle one is Victorian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call the middle one Victorian. It's more an offshoot of the traditionals, without the makeup and black hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, the lacy mask and high collar are pretty typical of the Victorian's.
    I've noticed a geographical adaptation of the different styles too which makes it even harder to categorize

    ReplyDelete
  4. First and third are def cyber goths. I have a friend who does similarly fantastic things with plastic hair, though she tends to go with a green motif.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually call these types of brightly-colored types "gravers," which is short for "Gothic Raver."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed a geographical adaptation of the different styles too which makes it even harder to categorize.

    Actually, you might be right. Just seeing the head I would say traditional, but the hair isn't punky enough. The cloths might show a Victorian, but inconclusive. I'll make a study of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow... I was UNAWARE that this fashion trend evolved and developed long after high school... this is not a derogatory snide remark... i just realize how much money I would have had to spend to keep up if I hadn't hung up my combat boots and fishnets.

    very awesome to see, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...